Theme of the Week : All About My Family
What We Learnt This WeeK
To name a few of the main activities….
- Learning the phonic sounds of p, q, r and s.
- Learnt the rhyme: Finger Family.
- Learnt about the number of family members and the importance of family. Also learnt the importance of sharing things with brothers and sisters.
- Counting and circling the number of family members.
- Learning Colors: Sorting Red, green and blue colored balls in different containers.
- Art and craft: Making of family tree using family photos of children.
- Identifying the number written on the ice cream stick and placing equal number of rubber bands on it.
- Story: The Magic porridge pot.
- Science Experiment: how plants absorb water.
- Dramatic play: Identifying, matching and mailing the upper case letters.
This Week's Main Events
1. Science Experiment: How Plants Absorb Water
In this simple experiment, the children dipped the leaves in colored water and watched how the leaves changed color to the color of the water. The teachers then explained the concept of how leaves and plants in general absorb water.
2. Fun Trip: Al Shaab Village
This Thursday we took the children out on a trip to the Al Shaab village. The child had a really fun time playing and enjoying with their friends.
Our Weekly Tip for Parents
Lollipop Nursery does science experiments and similar simple, fun yet complex activities almost every week. However, do children really understand the concept or does it actually help them? Should parents try such fun experiments or other fun activities at home?
Although most of the experiments that we do seem simple to adults, they are a bit complex when you consider it from the point of view of the children. However, these experiments are extremely effective. How? Here are a few simple reasons:
- Science experiments and other similar activities, help your children with critical thinking. It helps them develop questions and find answers.
- Science experiments and other similar activities are group activities. Participating in such activities help children to participate in groups and to interact with other children.
- Such simple experiments introduces your child to higher learning concepts and they spark curiosity.
- They introduce children to new learning concepts.
- The activities are fun, exciting and mostly hands on, which gets children excited in other topics and not just playing or watching cartoons.
- Our teachers explain the activities to our students in simple language. Through this interaction our children learn new vocabulary and improve their language and literacy skills.
These are some of the reasons why we encourage parents to try such simple experiments or other fun activities at home. These experiments hardly need much preparation and can be achieved in less than an hour. There are numerous simple age appropriate activities and experiments available in many online websites that parents can easily try at home. Alternatively, please stay tuned for emails from Lollipop nursery with fun activities and experiments, that parents can easily try at home.
Next Week’s Theme : All About My Community
Next week children will learn the importance of being part of a community. They will also learn about the most important people in our community who help us such as Doctors, firefighters etc…
Lollipop Nursery App
We are so excited to be receiving so many positive reviews from parents about our App. We are pleased to know that our parents are having fun using the App. Please do let us know if you have any suggestions or feedbacks.
Photo of the Week
Identifying, matching and mailing the upper case letters.